A Wilderness Safaris classic camp in the Okavango Delta.
Xigera Camp (pronounced Keejera) epitomises the Okavango Delta: a tranquil true Delta experience in the domain of the elusive sitatunga antelope and sought-after Pel's Fishing-Owl. This luxury tented camp is situated in the Moremi Game Reserve in the heart of the Okavango Delta. Xigera has something for everyone, in an area where there are no other Moremi camps and where permanent water all year round allows one to enjoy a variety of activities.
Accommodation and facilities:
- The 10 luxuriously furnished tented rooms with en-suite facilities and outdoor shower are nestled in a magnificent riverine forest. Each room is raised off the ground on a wooden deck offering superb views of the seasonal floodplain and waterhole.
- Meals and drinks are enjoyed under the thatch of the raised lounge, pub and dining area overlooking a permanently flowing channel.
- A traditional boma offers alternative dining under the African stars.
- Wooden walkways wind through the forest connecting the rooms to the main area.
- A plunge pool for cooling off in the midday hours between game activities.
Activities at Xigera:
- Enjoy a true Delta experience while you sit back in a mokoro (dugout canoe) and silently glide through the tranquil Okavango waterways or watch the sunset and birds gliding home to roost from a motorboat on the Xigera Lagoon.
- When water levels permit, game drives (usually September to May) allow the opportunity to observe wildlife and the unique Delta scenery from the comfort of a Land Rover.
- For the more adventurous animals can be tracked on foot.
The wooden footbridge is a unique feature to Xigera that connects Xigera Island to the next one and is often used by predators such as lion and leopard to move between the islands allowing guests to Xigera great viewing opportunities.
- Birding in the area is excellent, with Pelâ€™s Fishing Owl, Slaty Egret, Wattled Crane, African Skimmers and a host of eagles, vultures, raptors and kingfishers to be found. The area has the highest density of the rare Sitatunga antelope found anywhere in the Okavango Delta.
Why should I go to Xigera?
- This wetland area is perfect for bird watching and enjoying peaceful beauty